Friday 19 April 2013

Pea Soup with Crispy Pancetta

Friday 19 April 2013
I was listening to Jay Rayner's 'The Man Who Ate the World' on the way to my physio appointment this morning and during his time in Paris, he came across a dish in Guy Savoy where the peas in his pea salad had all been individually split. This got me obsessing with peas all day. I needed some peas in my life - stat.

We had some deliciously thin pancetta to use up also, so I thought the remedy to my cravings would be to make an indulgent pea soup and use pancetta as croutons. I did a lot of internet research to find the best pea soup recipe and decided to try Felicity Cloake's "Perfect Pea Soup" recipe for The Guardian. She uses bacon in the recipes but I took this out and replaced it with the pancetta topping. So here is my adapted version.

Pea Soup with Crispy Pancetta and Creme Fraiche


To Serve Two

Ingredients

15g butter
2 spring onions, chopped
4 rashers of pancetta
225g frozen peas
375ml of vegetable stock
Squeeze of lemon juice
Creme fraiche, to serve


Method
  • Melt the butter in a pan and add your spring onions. Allow them to soften in the foamy butter. 
  • Add the peas and let them defrost a bit. 
  • Add your hot stock and allow to simmer for ten minutes.
  • Add a squeeze of lemon juice and stir.
  • Using a stick blender, smooth the soup and allow to rest on a low heat whilst you make the croutons.
  • Bring a small frying pan to a high temperature and add the pancetta. They will crisp in under a minute so make sure they don't burn. 
  • Dish the soup into bowls and add a small quenelle of creme fraiche to the centre. 
  • Lay your crispy pancetta on top! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pudding, Pie and Georgie. © 2014